I don’t know about your kids, but mine are ravenous when they get home from school. I am usually still working so its nice to have a snack prepared for them when they walk in the door. My Kindergartener’s lunch starts before 11 and they are only supposed to bring one item for snack so its really no wonder that they are so hungry! I also love to have snacks that I have prepared for them every once in a while, vs. them grabbing an apple or a bowl full of crackers (or yes, sometimes chips.) I don’t know why, but I have these visions of them looking back when they are older and having fond memories of the snacks I made when they got home from school. Some days that snack might be cookies or others a smoothie. Hey, I can always hope, right?
I had some bananas that I needed to use up and some strawberries that were on their last leg so I thought this would be perfect! You could probably mix up the gelatin flavor that you use and swap out the whipped cream for yogurt and I don’t think the kids would complain too much. Its definitely a nice easy treat that’s super refreshing on a hot 90+ degree North Carolina day…
Strawberry Banana Delight
Strawberry Banana Delight - a great after school snack for kids!
- 1 package .3 ounce sugar-free strawberry gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 6 ice cubes
- 2 medium ripe bananas cut into chunks
- 4 tablespoons whipped topping
- 4 fresh strawberries
- In a small bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water; cool for 10 minutes. Add enough water to ice cubes to measure 1 cup. In a blender, combine gelatin and ice mixture; cover and process for 1 minute or until ice cubes are dissolved. Add bananas; process 1-2 minutes longer or until blended.
- Pour into four dessert dishes. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or until set. Garnish each with 1 tablespoon whipped topping and a strawberry. Yield: 4 servings.