I thought this recipe was perfect to post with the heat wave we are all experiencing here in the south. Stay cool everyone!
I read about this punch a long time ago and I was totally intrigued because I had never heard of using Citric Acid before. For some reason I had it in my head that it is called Magic Lemon Water Punch, I have no idea why. I just like to rename things sometimes only to realize months later that it’s completely the wrong name. I had always read that you can get citric acid at a pharmacy, but every time that I have been in a pharmacy in the past 6 months the thought of buying citric acid has never been top of mind (I’m usually buying cold medicine or pillow pets.) So anyways, on Sunday after our bike ride we stopped at an Indian Grocery store to pick up a few items for our dinner that evening and while I was picking up some spices I came across a packet of Citric Acid. I was so excited so I grabbed it and hid it among my groceries (sometimes its just easier to not explain why you are buying Citric Acid to your family…I figured – just make the lemonade THEN explain.)
So pretty much as soon as I got home, I found the recipe for this and made a batch. Oh yum. I have a new favorite refreshing drink and the best part is you can do so much to alter the flavor of this punch to your liking. I would compare this to the lemonade they serve at Chick-Fil-A, which I love. You must try this – TODAY! It really is magic.
(But seriously, why do they sell Citric Acid at pharmacies??? What pharmaceutical qualities does it have? If you know, please share!)
"Magic" Lemon Water Punch
- 1 Gallon of water
- 1 .5 cups of sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Lemon Extract
- 1.5 Tbsp Citric Acid.
- Mix everything together and stir.
- You can add sliced lemons to the punch if you are serving for guests, however you will want to remove them if you are keeping this in the fridge for any length of time.
- If you want your drink a bit sweeter you can actually add another half cup of sugar to make it kind of like a sweet lemonade.
- You can also cut back on the Citric Acid if you want it less tart.
- Experiment until you figure out how you like it!