This is another recipe in my Easy Weeknight Meals category and I love this one! Talk about an easy comfort dish – this is it:-) My whole family loves this meal and I can probably have the whole thing on the table in about 45 minutes total. Definitely one that I can count on for the days when I have to go into the office. I think this is one that my mom told me about, too. I mean, she literally just told me what to do and I made it – it’s that easy.
I made the stuffing this time but you can certainly make the boxed stuff. I just took some white whole wheat bread and tore up about 7 slices and let them sit out for a few hours. I then sautéed some finely chopped mushrooms, onions and celery in a pan – (maybe about 1/4 cup each) in a little olive oil until everything was softened up. I added about 1 tsp of poultry seasoning to this mixture and sautéed another minute or so. I then added the bread and tossed it around in the veggies and olive oil. Add a cup of broth and continue adding a bit more at a time until the bread is nice and moist, but not drenched. Cook in the pan for a few minutes until the bread has absorbed the broth completely and you have a nice stuffing consistency. This is so yummy and has a lot less sodium than the boxed stuff. Since I used whole wheat bread it also added a bit of fiber.
You could also use real gravy if you have it and you can get low sodium turkey in the deli all the better.
So try this today. You don’t need to wait til Thanksgiving to enjoy some turkey and stuffing:-)
- 1 lb deli turkey sliced thick
- 1 box of prepared turkey stuffing (or about 3 cups if you want to make your own)
- 2 cans of prepared turkey gravy or about 3 cups of your own
- 2 cans of kitchen cut low salt green beans
- Put about ¼ cup of dressing onto each turkey slice and roll up. Place each roll seam side down in a single row in a 9X13 pan that has been sprayed with a little PAM.
- Drain Green Beans and pour in the other half of the pan.
- Pour ⅔ of the gravy over the turkey rolls and the rest over the green beans.
- Bake @ 350 for about 20 minutes or until bubbly.