This crab meat dip recipe is one of my party staples and one that my mom always made for parties. It is soooo yummy and people gobble it up. You can use canned lump crab meat or you can get the more expensive lump crab from the seafood counter. I usually just buy the canned crab meat, because quite honestly I don’t think this recipe needs anything more and I would hate to spend a whole lot more for the good stuff. I save that for my hot crab meat dip that I will share on here soon.
You can also make this healthier by using fat-free or lower fat cream cheese and you won’t notice a huge difference. For a full-blown celebration I would use the full fat, but for a smaller get together where I want to save some calories I will very often use the lower fat varieties.
I just have one rule with this dip. No skimming off the top! I have seen many people skim the crab off the top and that is a huge no-no. Party foul – big time. You must scoop the dip up with equal portions of crab, cocktail sauce and cream cheese.
Speaking of parties and food – has anyone watched The Chew? I have been taping it and keeping up with the episodes, but so far it’s pretty good. Like any new show, it will definitely grow into it’s own. So far I like it a lot!
- 1 8oz block of cream cheese - softened
- 2 tablespoons of minced green onion
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- 1 12 oz jar of cocktail sauce (or you can make your own)
- 1 can of lump crab meat - drained (I sometimes double this)
- 1 tsp dried parsley flakes
- Old Bay Seasoning
- In a bowl combine the first five ingredients. Spread into a pie plate.
- Top the cream cheese mixture with cocktail sauce and then sprinkle the crab meat on top. Sprinkle dried parsley and Old Bay (optional) over top.