This is not a brownie for the faint of heart.
Not only are there two types of dark chocolate in this brownie, there is also espresso. You could say this is the Red Bull of brownies. Oh yes, and they are really yummy, too. The salted caramel takes a little of the edge of the chocolate, but they are also wonderful all by themselves.
The thing that I really like about these brownies is that a small square is really all you need to get your chocolate fix. Drizzle a little of the caramel over top and you have a great little treat. Take that Starbucks:-)
Oh yes and the salted caramel? Awesomeness.
The brownie recipe is adapted from King Arthur Flour and the salted caramel is from Brown Eyed Baker. They are both great recipes by themselves, but together – divine:-)
Dark Chocolate Brownies with Salted Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 1/4 cups white sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups Dark Cocoa - I used Hershey's
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups AP Flour
- 2 cups dark chocolate chips
- In a medium sized saucepan, heat the sugar over medium-high heat, whisking as the sugar begins to melt. You might get clumps of sugar, but keep whisking as they will melt away as you continue to cook. Cook the sugar until it reaches a dark amber color. Whisk in the salt, and then add the butter all at once and whisk until it is totally melted and mixed in with the sugar. Remove the pan from the heat and pour in the room temp heavy cream. Continue to whisk until it forms a smooth sauce.
- Drizzle cooled sauce over brownies and serve!