This was a creation that Jim and I came up with and it was awesome! I know that this pizza has been done before, but this is our version and it had so much flavor, we loved it. We also decided that we would try to a different pizza every Saturday. I’m also a big fan of BBQ and Buffalo Chicken pizzas and it will be fun to come up with some different creations.
Our grocery store, Harris Teeter, sells thinly shaved top round in the fresh meat section and it’s really good. I think the better quality beef you use, the better this pizza will turn out. The real cheesesteaks traditionally use either thinly shaved rib-eye or top round and the provolone slices are melted over so I think this pizza is pretty authentic. Some versions of the Philly Cheese Steak also use Cheez Whiz and spread it over top of the chopped meat. I can’t say that it didn’t cross my mind on this pizza, but I thought it was better to stick with the provolone:-) I try to avoid processed cheese when I can – even if it tastes really good.
So if you are looking for a different kind of pizza to make, definitely try this one. Enjoy!
Philly Cheesesteak Pizza
- 1 prebaked pizza crust
- 1/2 lb cooked shaved beef.
- 1 orange red or yellow pepper diced
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms optional
- 3 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 tsp Seasoned Salt
- 1/2 cup of fry sauce 1/2 ketchup and 1/2 mayo (We actually substituted some of the ketchup for A-1 Sauce)
- 8 oz sliced provolone cheese
- Optional toppings include pickled jalapeño slices mushrooms
- Cook the peppers and onions in a bit of olive oil until soft. Add the cooked beef, Worcestershire and season salt. Cook for about 3-4 more minutes.
- Spread the fry sauce on the crust and then top with the meat/veggie mixture.
- Top with the slices of provolone cheese. You may want more cheese on your pizza and if so add up to 8oz more cheese or your choice.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 475 degrees for 10 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and to your liking.
- Top with Jalapeno slices.