Jim made this on Sunday as an appetizer before the Super Bowl and it disappeared quick!
We buy a bag of avocados at Trader Joe’s for $2.99 so we eat lots of them. They make an appearance in my house at lunch, dinner and breakfast. Well, not at every breakfast lunch and dinner, but you get the picture.
Avocados at one point got a bad rap because they are so high in fat. While this is true, it is the good type of fat (monounsaturated) that can help to lower cholesterol. While you still need to be careful of the high calorie count in an avocado it’s a much better choice than say a slice of cheese or mayonnaise. You might want to try swapping out the mayo in a sandwich for some mashed avocado (it’s so yummy). I have also found that if I add some avocado to my fajitas I don’t need any cheese. Do you know what some mashed avocado is really good on? These or these!
I always like mine mashed and Jim likes his cut into chunks. Ella loves them that way, too.
This pico de gallo is also a FANTASTIC way to use avocado and Jim and I both agreed that it would make an appearance at our house frequently.
Avocado Pico de Gallo
- 1 avodaco diced
- 1 medium tomato diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper diced membranes and seeds removed if you want less heat
- 1/2 medium sized vidalia onion diced
- 1 clove of garlic - minced
- a good handful of cilanto chopped
- Juice from 1/2 lime you can the rest if you like it with more tang
- 1/4 teaspoon of cumin and garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Combine all ingredients and toss until thoroughly mixed. Refrigerate covered for one hour in order for flavors to blend and then serve with tortilla chips. Enjoy!