So tonight Ella informs me that a girl at the gym told her that she was surprised that she doesn’t know any curse words since she is from New York. I mean really?? What is that supposed to mean? I secretly think it would have been funny if Ella would have flipped her off, but I have scared them into never using their middle finger…ever. Plus I would feel horrible if I knew Ella flipped anyone off. Actually the other day Taylor asked me if it was ok if she itched her nose with her middle finger. I told her that was fine, just don’t let anyone see you doing it.
I don’t really think the girl meant anything bad by saying that to Ella, but it makes me laugh.
Do you want to know something that doesn’t make me laugh? The fact that these cookie bars are all gone! It’s kind of sad, really. I think they are my new old favorite. I say old because my mom used to make these all the time in cookie form. I just forgot how good they are. I made them in bar form because it’s just quicker.
First of all, chocolate and peanut butter. Enough said. Second, there’s just something irresistible about this cookie dough. It’s not really a brownie, but it’s not your typical chocolate cookie. They are a bit sandy, but still kind of buttery and chewy. I can’t explain it you just need to try them – if you haven’t already.
I say that because the recipe is on the back of the bag of chips…along with these. If I haven’t said this before, one of my jobs on this blog is to point out good (and simple) recipes to my dear readers. So, I apologize if the recipe comes from the bag, but they are just that #&(*% good! I would use a curse word there, but I don’t want New Yorker’s to get a bad rap:-). Plus I honestly don’t swear. I think in my whole childhood I only heard my mom swear once and it was when the crock pot tipped over in the car on the way to a picnic. That was definitely swear worthy.
One more thing…and this might seem obvious to you, but you can swap out the peanut butter chips for other chips. We also used to make this cookie with mint chocolate chips and they were equally good! I’m telling you, this dough is great.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Bars
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups butter 2 1/2 sticks, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 package of Reese's peanut butter chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a jelly roll pan (15-1/2x10-1/2x1 are the measurements the give for a jelly roll pan.)
- In a medium bowl combine flour, cocoa, soda and salt. Whisk to combine.
- In a large bowl combine butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and mix. Add vanilla and give it another quick mix. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet until thoroughly combined. Add the chips and fold into batter.
- Press dough into a cookie sheet and bake for 18-20 minutes (until cooked in the center of the pan.)
- Cut into bars once cooled.
- If you want to make these as cookies just drop by teaspoonful onto an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 8-9 minutes.