Have you ever had Migas before? If not, try them soon.
I first saw this recipe in the Pioneer Woman Cooks cookbook. You can also find the recipe on her blog. They are all that is good about Mexican style eggs. Crunchy tortilla cut up and mixed in with the scrambled eggs along with all of the yummy fixins.
This is perfect brunch or breakfast food and it will keep you nice and full for a busy day!
We are heading out to a place called Celebrity Dairy this afternoon. They have an “Open Barn” today and apparently you can see all of the baby goats at the farm. They also have a little spread for lunch with Johnnycakes and soup. You can also get some of their own Chevre which I can’t wait for. It’s a bit cold here today (and windy) so we are going to bundle up.
Source: Adapted slightly from Pioneer Woman Cooks
- 4-6 corn tortillas
- Oil for frying
- 1 red onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 4 plum tomatoes
- 1 jalapeno
- 12 eggs
- Cojita or Monterrey Jack cheese (amount to your preference)
- A good handful of Cilantro – chopped
- ¼ cup half and half
- 1 tablespoon each of butter and olive oil
- Chop all of your veggies into a nice even dice. Set aside.
- Heat oil over medium heat and fry tortillas until they turn a bit crisp. Remove and chop into 1 inch squares
- Mix eggs in a bowl with half and half. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a skillet over medium heat saute onion and pepper in butter and oil mixture. Once the veggies are slightly tender add the jalapeno and tomato. Add the fried tortillas and mix in with the veggies. and then the egg mixture.
- Turn down the heat and add the eggs stirring gently to combine with the veggies and tortillas. Finally add the cheese and cilantro. Serve once the eggs are nicely set.