By now you know how much I love Thai food and this recipe is no exception. There is so much great flavor going on here I almost don’t know where to start. This made my taste buds very happy.
A while ago I was reading an article that talked about why Asian food is so yummy. Apparently this has been studied and the reason is that one dish can have so many different flavors going on at once. Take this dish for instance. There is sweet (the sweet potato and sugars.) There is salt (the fish and soy sauce). There is hot spice (from the curry and chili.) There is nuttiness (from the coconut and the brown rice.) There are herbs with their own flavors (basil and cilantro). There is tanginess (from the limes.) Plus you have the texture of the chicken, the rice and the veggies and they all have their own flavors. All of these flavors and textures come together to make this wonderful dish. And that, my friends, is why this is so good – proven fact!
I wonder what adding some different flavor dimensions would do to some of our typical American fare?
So anyways. If you haven’t gotten my point, this dish is A-Mazing. There are so many flavors and they come together to form this addicting sweet, spicy coconut curry. Seriously yum.
Plus it’s quick and easy! What’s not to love about a recipe like that?
This could easily be a vegan or vegetarian recipe if you left out the chicken (and maybe the fish sauce.) It would be a shame to leave out the fish sauce, but I could eat it without chicken and I don’t think I would miss too much.
You could also lighten this up by using light coconut milk. I didn’t just because the coconut is the only fat in this dish and I have read such great things about the fat from coconuts that I didn’t feel bad using the real deal.
One of the surprises in this dish was the sweet potato. I love them, but don’t usually add them to other dishes. Wow. I will be adding them to more dishes from now on!
So if yo are looking for a super easy, healthy and tasty dish with some exotic flavors give this curry a try. Your taste buds will be very happy you did. Enjoy!
Source: Adapted from Stephanie O’Dea via the Rachael Ray Show
Slow-Cooker Thai Coconut Chicken Curry
- 1 13.5- ounce can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Thai Red Curry Paste
- 1 tablespoon Thai red or green chili paste
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic finely chopped or grated
- 1- inch knob ginger peeled and grated or 2 tablespoons crushed ginger
- 2 red bell peppers seeded and chopped
- 2 medium sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 cups frozen peas
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- Rice I used brown jasmine which is my favorite
- 1 lime cut into wedges, to garnish
- 2 scallions thinly sliced, to garnish
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro to garnish
- 1/2 cup chopped basil to garnish
- In a small bowl combine the coconut milk, sugar, soy sauce, curry paste, chili paste and fish sauce. Whisk to combine. Add mixture to the bowl of your slow-cooker.
- Add onion, garlic, ginger, peppers, sweet potato, peas and chicken to the slow-cooker. Cook for 4 hours on high or about 6 on low. Serve over rice. Top with lime juice, cilantro, basil, scallions.