This recipe is from Kelsey Nixon and its one that she prepared on her new show Kelsey’s Essentials. On the same show she also made an apple tart that looked amazing that I will probably make some other time. This recipe caught my attention because I already had all the ingredients and I am always looking for new ways to prepare veggies. The lemon juice gives this dish such a nice fresh flavor and the nuttiness from the toasted almonds helps to create a wonderful sauce along with the butter and shallots. We will be making this dish again and again.
I always have a bag of Trader Joe’s haricot verts in my freezer and if I can’t get farm fresh green beans this will do just fine. I like them because they are nice and thin and they taste great. If you would like some other great green bean recipes you can try these green beans and new potatoes from Paula Deen (our favorites) or these roasted greens with cherry tomatoes. My mom told me that she found a recipe for grilled green beans so if we make those I will add them soon. I like to grill or roast anything that I can so they sound great to me!
A few people said that they liked the pictures of the animals so I thought I would share this cute little picture. Last week the girls and some of their neighborhood friends made a little store in our garage selling “salads” made up of grass clippings and leaves. I let them leave their store in the garage overnight because they said they wanted to play with it all again tomorrow. So the next day I went into the garage to pull something out of the freezer and this is what I saw….I just had to get a picture to show them.
He was soooo cute. I left the garage door open so he could hop out. Hopefully he was ok. I was a bit worried, because clearly he separated from his mom. The little red cup was filled with grass and it was all gone when he finally hopped away. He must have been hungry!
For a real green dish, definitely try these Haricot Verts Almondine. They will become a new favorite in your house…even your little bunnies will probably like them!
- Kosher salt
- ¼ cup almonds
- 1½ pounds haricots verts (French string beans), root ends removed
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- 2 shallots, minced
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- ½ lemon, zested and juiced
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Heat the almonds in a saute pan until lightly browned and fragrant – about 3-5 minutes. Chop the almonds up fine and set aside.
- Cook the green beans for about 3-4 minutes in boiling water. Kelsey cooks hers for about 2-3 minutes, but I like mine just a little less crisp. Immediately plunge in ice cold water to stop the cooking process. Remove from the water and gently pat dry.
- In the saute pan melt butter and cook shallots until browned, about 3-5 minutes. Add the green beans and toss in the shallots and butter. Add the lemon juice and zest and cook another 1-2 minutes until everything is heated through.
- Remove beans from the heat and toss with the almonds before serving.