This is a GREAT recipe.
We had it on a rainy Saturday night when we couldn’t grill (yes we are still grilling in January), but it is certainly easy enough to prepare on a weekday night. Once you cook the pasta, everything bakes together in a foil package. Easy peasy!
The entire family of critics loved it and the flavor is amazing. Okay, so one child picked out the peppers and the other child almost passed when we made her try a cherry tomato, but otherwise it was a hit. Jim particularly loved it as I knew he would. There isn’t much to not like about this one.
A friend at work told me about this recipe and it comes from Cooking Light. Another score because it is pretty light. To make it even more healthy you could use some whole wheat pasta or maybe even some brown rice or quinoa? You could also change-up the veggies as much as you would like. I added the peppers, but I also thought about adding some zucchini.
The recipe calls for a foil bag, but I didn’t have any and wasn’t about to run to the store. I just used foil and made my own tent. The important thing is to make sure no steam escapes while it bakes. I doubled up on the foil and that did the trick.
What you have when it finishes cooking are the wonderful flavors of basil, lemon and feta on top of the shrimp, pasta and veggies….so, so, so good!
Folks, if you are looking for a different dish to add to your weekend OR weekday meal rotation try this one out. It will be a keeper, I am sure!
- 1 regular-size foil oven bag ( made my own - just make sure no steam can escape)
- Cooking spray
- ½ cup uncooked orzo
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup diced vegetables (I used cherry tomatoes and yellow peppers)
- ¾ cup sliced green onions
- ½ cup (2 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- ½ teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¾ pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Coat inside of oven bag with cooking spray. Place the bag on a large shallow baking pan.
- Cook the pasta in boiling water 5 minutes; drain.
- Place the pasta in a large bowl. Stir in 1 teaspoon oil and next 7 ingredients (1 teaspoon oil through pepper). Place the orzo mixture in prepared oven bag. Combine shrimp and basil. Arrange shrimp mixture on orzo mixture. Seal bag tightly.
- Bake at 450° for 25 minutes or until the shrimp are done. Carefully cut bag open and drizzle with remaining teaspoon of olive oil.