First a quick public service announcement….I wanted to let anyone in the Raleigh area know that if you are looking for a Realtor in the Triangle (or know of someone who is,) my husband, Jim (Jacobs), is now working with RE/MAX in Cary. Check out his site here. Thank you:-).
So, here is one more of my mom’s recipes. This really is the best way to make strawberry shortcake. There is just something about the sweet biscuit with the mashed strawberries and freshly whipped cream that creates the ultimate in yummy desserts.
My girls devoured theirs and I savored every sweet bite.
Hurry, while you can still get fresh strawberries and make this. Here in NC we probably have a few more weeks.
- 2 cups flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons cold butter (cut into small pieces)
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup of chilled whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons confectioner's sugar
- Fresh Strawberries (2-3 pints) - hulled and cut into quarters
- Additional Sugar
- Combine flour ⅓ c. sugar, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl. Cut in butter until mixture is the texture of coarse meal. Make well in center.
- Mix together buttermilk and vanilla. Stir into flour mixture, just until ball forms.
- Knead gently 5-6 times on floured board. Pat into ¾ thickness. Cut into 3" rounds. Place on baking sheet. Lightly brush with milk. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 12-14 minutes, until the tops are a light golden brown.
- To make whipped cream place the cream in a bowl and beat until it starts to thicken a bit. Add 1 tablespoon of vanilla and confectioner's sugar. Continue beating until thick (but do not over beat.)
- Place cut strawberries in a bowl and add enough sugar to sweeten to your liking. (when strawberries are in season you may need less sugar than you would off-season.) Let the strawberries sit for about 20 minutes and then mash to break up the berries into smaller pieces.
- To assemble, cut shortcakes in half through the center. Place one half on a plate and top with strawberries. Place the other half of the shortcake on the strawberries and then top with a generous dollop of whipped cream.