I hope everyone is having a great Memorial Day Weekend! We are heading to the beach, but I wanted to post a quick recipe that is perfect for your holiday BBQ.
Huli apparently means “turn” in Hawaiian. Turn the chicken a few times on the grill and you have a great start for dinner. I always pound my chicken breasts out all over to about 3/4 inches thick before grilling and I swear that is the best tip ever for evenly cooked juicy grilled chicken.
I revised the recipe to feed just my family, but the original recipe from Taste of Home feeds a crowd.
Huli Huli Chicken
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sherry or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs pounded to 1-2 inch thickness and cut in half
- In a small bowl mix the first six ingredients. Reserve 1/2 of the marinade
- for basting; cover and refrigerate. Add chicken to remaining marinade in a large resealable plastic bag. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain and discard marinade from chicken.
- Grill chicken covered, over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until no longer pink; baste occasionally with reserved marinade during the last 5 minutes.