There are certain foods that people either love or hate…without a whole lot of in-between. Mushrooms are definitely one of those foods. We live in a house divided. Half of us LOVE mushrooms and the other half won’t even try them no matter how amazing I rave that they are. No matter how hard I try they just won’t try them….sigh. On the other side (my side) Ella, my 9 year old, claims them as one of her favorite foods.
As much as I love mushrooms I don’t particularly care for them raw. To me they are a spongy and delicious carrier of other flavors….like vinegar or butter or salt or garlic. Without all of that they don’t do a whole lot for me. If that means I’m not a true mushroom lover then so be it.
These marinated mushrooms carry lots and lots of flavor. They have a nice kick from the vinegar and garlic, but they almost have a bit of a meaty flavor that I love. Ella and I finished these off quickly and I can’t wait to get some more mushrooms to make these again soon.
These are so easy to whip up and would be great to serve (and impress) at a party. I’m sure you will have requests for the recipe from fellow mushroom lovers. You can also keep them for yourself and just share with a cute 9 year old.
Source: Bell All’imento
- 8 ounces mushrooms - the original recipe uses cremini and I used white mushrooms cut into quarters
- 1/4 cup minced red onion - green onions would be yummy too
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced flat leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Clean and trim stems of mushrooms. Place in a saucepan with cold water. Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 5 minutes. Drain.
- Mix together onion, garlic, parsley, vinegar and oil. Toss mushrooms in oil mixture and thoroughly coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, but I found that these really tasted best the next day.