I don’t get to Olive Garden very often these days, but if I do visit there are two items on their menu that I get. The first is their house salad and the second is the Zuppa Toscana….sprinkled with a few good cranks of Parmesan Cheese.
You will see lots of recipes for Zuppa Toscana, but I always go back to this one because it is simple and I think it is just like they serve in the restaurant. I like this soup with kale and sometimes you will see spinach or other greens. I think I like the texture of the kale in this soup. It also calls for Italian Sausage so don’t substitute smoked sausage or Kielbasa because it really changes the flavor. I like it with hot Italian Sausage, but the kiddos might not eat it so I actually use a mild Italian Sausage. The girls like this soup so I am fine using the mild stuff. I see a lot of recipes that also call for bacon and I just don’t feel like it needs it.
So, save yourself a trip to Olive Garden and make their yummy soup and salad at home instead. Enjoy!
**Updated 3/9/19 to be Keto/Low-Carb friendly**
Source: Top Secret Recipes
- 2 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 medium russet potato (you can omit the potato or replace with cauliflower florets if Keto/Low-Carb)
- 2 cups chopped kale (stems removed)
- 1/2 pound spicy Italian sausage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Combine cream and broth in a heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Slice the potato into 1/4 inch slices. Quarter the slices and then add to the pot.
- In a separate pan cook the sausages. Once fully cooked slice about 1/2 inch thick and add to the soup.
- Add the salt and pepper and then simmer soup for about 45 minutes to an hour, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan cheese if desired.
- This serves 2 people and can easily be doubled.
Zuppa Toscana – Olive Garden Copycat