This Creamy Cauliflower Cheddar and Bacon casserole is one of those dishes that makes me wonder why people say they can’t do Keto. It really reminds me of the Funeral Potato casserole my mom used to make with the sour cream and the cheddar cheese. It’s that good. It makes a big batch and I’ve been eating it as a side for a couple of days – happily.
If you haven’t caught the trend of my recipes, I typically make dishes that everyone will like. While Jim and I eat low-carb, my girls don’t, so I’m always trying to make meals that appeal to everyone. This is definitely one of those dishes, and I have found that cauliflower is very versatile, so it’s easy to make lots of different dishes that everyone likes and asks for!
I served this with some grilled jerk chicken breasts. If you read the ingredients it’s obviously a bit on the heavier side and about 9 net carbs from the cauliflower, which is fine for keto, but I still like to eat my protein a little bit lighter. That’s why the grilled chicken breasts were our choice for that evening. Serve it with a salad (with some croutons for the girls) and everyone is happy. Plus it’s a really easy one pot dish, which I love. Boom, dinner is done.
See, Keto is easy!
Recipe from Epicurious
Creamy Cauliflower Cheddar and Bacon Casserole
- 8 slices bacon chopped, cooked until crisp, and cooled
- 3 cups cheddar cheese grated
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 2 large cauliflower heads trimmed and cut into 1 in. florets (about 8 cups)
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 C heavy cream
- 1/4 C sour cream
- 1/2 Tsp. pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion white and green sections
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- For the topping, mix bacon, 1/2 C cheese, and parsley in small bowl. Set aside.
- Bring 4 quarts water to a boil in a large pot. Add 1 tbsp. salt and cauliflower and cook until tender, about seven minutes. Drain and rinse cauliflower with cold water. Transfer half of cauliflower to cutting board and roughly chop.
- Melt cream cheese in now-empty pot over low heat. Stir in heavy cream and remaining 2 1/2 C cheese and cook until cheese starts to melt, about 3 minutes. Off heat, stir in sour cream, cauliflower, 1/2 tsp. salt, and pepper.
- Transfer mixture to 2 quart baking dish, sprinkle with topping, and bake until brown and bubbly, about 15 minutes. I sprinkle Green onions on top. You can also include the onions in the topping or with the cauliflower.