This recipe is sooo easy, but if you like Italian Sausage or the taste of Italian food in general then you will LOVE this recipe. It is Keto, but if you wanted to make this non-Keto you could add some Tortellini to it. This recipe was actually inspired by a soup that has Tortellini in it which can be found – here. I also used kale instead of spinach, but they are certainly interchangeable. I kind of of like the texture of kale in soups better than spinach – especially when you don’t have any carbs – need a little something to give it some substance.
I had this soup with a nice big salad, but it would also taste great with some Keto biscuits. Honestly though, it is hearty enough as a meal by itself. This is great for a busy weeknight because it just takes about 30 minutes to cook and only a few ingredients that come together in a snap.
A couple of things to note for this recipe. If you are eating Keto, you may want to take a look at the ingredients in the sausage you are using. Generally, sausage is low-carb, however different brands use different ingredients or preservatives, so carb count (and general quality) can vary greatly with sausage. Also, you could leave the tomato sauce out of this recipe if you want to go really low-carb. I think the tomato just pulls this recipe together, but it would be good without it, too!
Italian Sausage, Kale and Tomato Soup
- 1 lb Italian Sausage You can use sweet, mild or Hot, but I really like the kind that has fennel in it
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 2 32oz boxes Broth I used a mix of chicken and beef
- 1 15oz can tomato sauce
- 3-4 cups chopped kale stems removed
- salt and pepper to taste
- grated Parmesan
- In a soup pot, saute the garlic in olive oil until fragrant. Add the Italian Sausage and cook until no longer pink, breaking up into smaller pieces as it cooks.
- Drain the sausage if desired (up to you and whether or not there is a lot of fat that needs to be drained) and then add the broth and tomato sauce. Simmer over medium low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Add the Kale and continue to simmer another five minutes until it has wilted. You can add more kale if you like. I love it in this soup.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese