|Mexican Chicken Tortilla Soup|
- 3 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup diced tomatoes with liquid (from a 15-ounce can)
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 10 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3 corn tortillas, cut into thin strips (I doubled this and would probably make even more next time)
- ½ avocado, thinly sliced
- 2 ounces cotija cheese, crumbled (1/3 cup) (I used queso fresco)
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño seeded and chopped
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a dutch oven, cook garlic in 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat. Cook until fragrant and then add tomato paste, diced tomatoes(with their liquid), and chili powder. Cook until most of the liquid is evaporated. Add broth and bring to a boil; season with salt and pepper.
- On a rimmed baking sheet toss tortilla strips gently in oil. Bake about 8 minutes until browned and crispy. Turn halfway through.
- Divide chicken,black beans, jalapeño, avocado, cheese, cilantro, and scallion among six bowls; top with broth and tortilla strips. Serve with lime wedges.
Recipe by at http://www.beckiswholelife.com/2012/01/10/mexican-chicken-tortilla-soup/