|Best Ever Strawberry Shortcake|
- 2 cups flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons cold butter (cut into small pieces)
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup of chilled whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons confectioner's sugar
- Fresh Strawberries (2-3 pints) - hulled and cut into quarters
- Additional Sugar
- Combine flour ⅓ c. sugar, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl. Cut in butter until mixture is the texture of coarse meal. Make well in center.
- Mix together buttermilk and vanilla. Stir into flour mixture, just until ball forms.
- Knead gently 5-6 times on floured board. Pat into ¾ thickness. Cut into 3" rounds. Place on baking sheet. Lightly brush with milk. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 12-14 minutes, until the tops are a light golden brown.
- To make whipped cream place the cream in a bowl and beat until it starts to thicken a bit. Add 1 tablespoon of vanilla and confectioner's sugar. Continue beating until thick (but do not over beat.)
- Place cut strawberries in a bowl and add enough sugar to sweeten to your liking. (when strawberries are in season you may need less sugar than you would off-season.) Let the strawberries sit for about 20 minutes and then mash to break up the berries into smaller pieces.
- To assemble, cut shortcakes in half through the center. Place one half on a plate and top with strawberries. Place the other half of the shortcake on the strawberries and then top with a generous dollop of whipped cream.
Recipe by at http://www.beckiswholelife.com/2013/05/15/strawberry-shortcake/