|Sauteed Sweet and Spicy Szechuan Asparagus|
- 2 pounds of asparagus, ends discarded
- ¼ cup soy sauce, low sodium (can replace some of this with chicken broth if you don't want a real strong sauce)
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ¼ to 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch optional (to help thicken the sauce)
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- Cut asparagus spears on the diagonal into 3 inch pieces
- Whisk together the soy sauce through optional cornstarch in a small bowl
- In a large sauce pan over medium high heat cook the asparagus in the water until the asparagus is crisp tender. Pour off the water and add the oil, garlic and ginger. Saute until lightly browned.
- Add the sauce and cook until it thickens and coats the asparagus.
- Add the sesame seeds and serve.
Recipe by at http://www.beckiswholelife.com/2013/11/24/sauteed-sweet-spicy-szechuan-asaparagus/