This. Is a keeper.
This was a huge hit with everyone involved. Everyone involved being my family…and that says a lot. My family isn’t picky really, but not all dishes are a hit with everyone at the same time. This dish was. For me it was a huge hit because it was simple to make and pretty healthy. The flavor was deep and rich – which doesn’t always happen with slow cooked meals.
I used frozen green beans (the haricot vert if you are fancy) from Trader Joe’s and they worked wonderfully. I love their frozen veggies and I very often use frozen instead of fresh veggies when it is more convenient. I don’t know what it is, but TJ’s has the best frozen veggies.
****Can I give you my tip on frozen vegetables? Don’t microwave them. Maybe there is a good way to nuke frozen veggies, but I haven’t found it yet. I will sometimes sauté them in a little olive oil right from frozen and sometimes I will boil them in some water with a little bouillon. I have even roasted veggies in the oven right from frozen and it works great. Another thing I will do is put them in some foil with a little seasoning salt and some olive oil and throw it on the grill. It steams in the foil and cooks up really nice. I do this with frozen asparagus quite a bit.
Thank you for that brief interruption, now back to our regularly scheduled program:-)
Seriously – try this dish today. This is some absolutely delicious Italian food. Another great recipe from Taste of Home.
- 1 lb beef stew meat
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jar (26 0z) marinara or spaghetti sauce
- 2 cups dry red wine or beef broth
- 1 lb fresh green beans, trimmed - (I might do 1.5 lbs next time)
- 1 can (14½ oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
- lb small fresh mushrooms
- 2 envelopes thick and zesty spaghetti sauce mix
- 2 Tbsp minced fresh parsley
- 1 Tbsp minced onion
- 2 tsp minced fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp pepper
- tsp salt
- 1 pkg (9 oz) refrigerated cheese tortellini
- In a large skillet, brown beef in oil until no longer pink. Add garlic, cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a 5 or 6 qt slow cooker.
- Stir in the marinara sauce, wine, green beans, mushrooms, sauce mix, parsley, onion, rosemary, pepper and salt. Cover and cook on low for 6 – 8 hrs or until meat is tender.
- Stir in tortellini. Cover and cook on high 30 minutes longer or until tortellini are heated through.