When I got both an immersion blender and a food processor for Christmas I told Jim we would never have to chew our food again! Just kidding, but it is nice to have great tools, right?
This is a great twist on tomato soup with some added flavor and health benefits from the artichokes. They have lots of fiber and antioxidants so combined with the tomatoes this is a great option if you are trying to focus on getting some superfoods into your diet.
If you don’t have an immersion blender no worries, you can just process some of the soup in your blender to get to the consistency you like. Just be careful adding hot liquid to the blender and leave some room for the soup so you don’t have an explosion.
You will love this Tomato and Artichoke soup. It is easy and so flavorful, too. I like to sprinkle a little Parmesan on mine and if you want a little heat you can add a sprinkle of crushed red pepper, too. If you want to make this a little more hearty you can add some cooked pasta or shredded chicken (or both…)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 28 oz can of whole peeled tomatoes with juice
- 1 14 oz can artichokes drained and quartered
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- More olive oil for drizzling
- Optional toppings include, croutons, oyster crackers, crème fraîche, Parmesan, crushed red peppers and shredded basil
- In a large soup pot or dutch oven heat the olive oil over medium heat. Saute the onion until translucent and add garlic. Cook for another minute.
- Add the tomatoes, artichokes and broth. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Puree with your immersion blender until you reach the desired consistency and then add milk, sugar basil and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into soup bowls and drizzle with a little EVOO and optional toppings.
This post has been linked up to Buns In My Oven What’s Cookin’ Wednesday?